What is TMS at Neurovations?
TMS stands for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. It is a non-medication, non-invasive therapy cleared by the FDA for the treatment of depression in patients who were unsuccessful with other methods of treatment. This treatment has helped thousands of patients find relief and gain back control of their life.
Questions about TMS?
We're just a phone call away!
What Are Treatments Like?
Though it can sound scary, the only side effects reported from TMS are slight discomfort at the site where the module is connected to the scalp. You get to relax in a comfortable reclining chair. During treatments, which last under 20 minutes, you will feel a light, tapping sensation on the front and left side of your head.
How Does TMS Work?
TMS works by using short, magnetic pulses to stimulate the nerve cells in the parts of the brain believed to regulate mood and emotions.
Ready to learn more?
Find out if TMS Therapy is right for you!
Safety and Side Effects
Is TMS Safe?
Yes. TMS has been studied for over 30 years and has full FDA approval to treat symptoms of depression. You can read more about side effects in the section below.
The side effects of TMS therapy are very limited. With TMS Therapy:
- No anesthesia or sedeation is required
- Treatment does not require taking any medication
- You can resume normal activities immediately after treatment. Leave your doctors office and head straight to the gym, a hike, or anything else!
- Memory and mental clarity are not affected
Like any other treatment, some side effects are possible. These can include:
- Headaches - usually after your first treatments and treatable with over the counter medication
- Discomfort at the treatment site
- Tingling, spasms, or twitching facial muscles
Most of these side effects are mild and dissipate shortly after your session. They generally diminish with each additional treatment. As with any medical treatment, let your provider know if you experience these or any other side effects.